March 2009 Launch
On Tuesday, March 10, 2009, experts from the Economic Policy Institute, the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, the Pension Rights Center, and the Service Employees International Union launched RETIREMENT USA, an initiative working for a new retirement system that, together with Social Security, will provide universal, secure, and adequate income for future retirees.
Below are links to materials from the press conference.
- Press Release
- Why Now? A Preamble to the Principles for a New Retirement System
- Principles for a New Retirement System
- Making the Case for a New Retirement System
- About the Speakers
- Working Paper
- PowerPoint slides (PDF)
- Watch a slide show of photos from this event.
- Listen to an audio recording of the press conference. The speakers, in order, are
- Karen Ferguson, director of the Pension Rights Center
- Barbara B. Kennelly, president and CEO of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
- Steve Abrecht, Director of Benefits and Capital Stewardship for the Service Employees International Union.
- Ross Eisenbrey, vice president of the Economic Policy Institute
- Maria P. Freese, Director of Government Relations and Policy for the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
- Norman Stein, law professor at University of Alabama School of Law and a consultant to the Pension Rights Center
A question-and-answer session follows the presentations.
Contact Retirement USA by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.