Re-Envisioning Retirement Security
On October 21, 2009, Retirement USA held a conference, Re-Envisioning Retirement Security, in Washington, D.C. Labor Secretary Hilda Solis delivered the keynote address, and other notable speakers included Richard Trumka, president of the AFL-CIO; Anna Burger, SEIU secretary-treasurer and chair of Change to Win; and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist David Cay Johnston.
Conference participants heard why a new private retirement system is needed; learned about the principles that should underlie a new system; and discussed proposals for a universal, secure, and adequate system for the future. Retirement USA is an initiative that is working to create a system that, along with Social Security, will provide universal, secure, and adequate retirement income to future retirees.
- Conference Agenda
- Conference Report: Toward a Universal, Secure, and Adequate Retirement System
- Press Release
- Retirement USA principles
- What is Retirement USA?
- Making the Case for a New System
- Proposals for a New Retirement System
- Remarks by Karen Ferguson, Director, Pension Rights Center
- Remarks by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis
- Remarks by Anna Burger, Chair, Change to Win and International Secretary-Treasurer of the Service Employees International Union
- Remarks by Barbara Kennelly, President and CEO, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare
- Remarks by AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka
- Remarks by Algernon Austin, Director of the Race, Ethnicity and the Economy program at the Economic Policy Institute
- Speaker Biographies
- List of Organizations Supporting the Retirement USA principles
- Photos from the Conference
- Slideshow: Voices
- Funders and Co-Sponsors
- Web Cast